Are you looking to develop a broad perspective on sustainability in international business? The minor SUIB offers just that: you will study environmental, social and economic aspects of international business in various industries and organizations, in the classroom and on location, with a heterogeneous group of international students, with a possibility to go abroad for five or eight weeks in the second quarter.
- Max number of students
- Minor Type
A: Available for any HBO course, provided there is no overlap with your current education/programme
Saxion student, Non-Saxion student
This minor will help you to get a better understanding of the ongoing heated debate concerning environmental, social and economic impacts of global trade and will help you making up your own mind in these matters.
Various controversial issues of sustainability will be addressed from the following three angles:
- planet: environmental aspects, such as water pollution, toxic chemicals, etc.
- people: social aspects of corporate social responsibility (CSR), such as people in the value chain, culture, leadership, international labour relations and human rights.
- prosperity: sustainable economy, free trade, product chains, global governance, international relationships and politics.
In the first period of ten weeks the minor will be focused on acquiring knowledge about these three angles. The second period of nine weeks is focused on acquiring experience in the field. In previous editions of this minor students have travelled to Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe for internships with local organizations for the duration of a period of five or eight weeks.
Students that remain in the Netherlands will work on projects for international companies or organizations in the Netherlands, researching and advising them on an actual sustainability issue.
The minor is full-time. Attendance is generally required 3 days a week. The remaining 2 days are for group work and independent study. The minor is structured as follows:
1st Period of 10 weeks
Starting with kick-off session and excursion day. Focus on 3 theoretical classes addressing economic, environmental and social aspects of sustainability. These classes consist of lectures, interactivity, student presentations and various assignments. In addition to that a short class about research & reporting will be taught and the projects of the 2nd period will be started.
2nd Period of 9 weeks
- Going abroad for internship/research for the duration of 8 weeks, working on tailor-made assignments.
- Going abroad for internship/research for the duration of 5 weeks, working on tailor-made assignments. After the Christmas break joining the students that stayed in the Netherlands for guest lectures, documentaries and excursions.
- Staying in the Netherlands and working on a project for an international company, doing the necessary research in order to come up with advice on an actual sustainability issue, in combination with guest lectures, documentaries and excursions and a theoretical class about strategy.
The final assessments will take place in the last week for all students.
The theoretical classes about the economic, environmental and social aspects of sustainability that will take place in the first period, as well the theoretical class about strategy in the second period will be assessed by means of an exam, an individual assignment (essay) and a group presentation.
The projects will be assessed by means of two presentations, a project plan and a project report.
The excursions, guest lectures and documentaries will be assessed on the basis of an individual portfolio. Attendance and active participation are prerequisites for all elements of the minor.
Are you an ambitious and inquisitive student in the main phase of a HBO-bachelor programme student with a broad interest in sustainability issues in international business? Then you are just what we are looking for.
We aim for a culturally and professionally diverse international group of students. The only requirement is that you have attained the propaedeutic/first year certificate.
Quotes from former students:
- "Interesting and instructive minor. Certainly recommended to students that wish to expand their knowledge with regards to sustainability and wish to improve their English language skills."
- "Learned a lot and had a great time!"
- "Interesting minor, a subject that is becoming more important in the future."
- "This minor can really make a difference."
- "Extra attention to student that wish to improve him- or herself."
- "It is very challenging and hard. I feel satisfied now that I finished the minor."
- "If you want to learn about sustainability this minor is of good quality, thanks to the classes in Q1 and the guest lectures in Q2. The project gives a good insight in sustainability."
- "The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it."